Thursday 8 April 2010

Spring has Sprung

It is official, spring has sprung. Today I even peeled off my trusty black opaque tights in the afternoon sun. It is amazing what some sunrays can do to your mood; good old vitamin D as my scientist friend Alice reliably informs me every time the clouds break. As the weather brightens and gives us hope for a potential summer on the horizon (summer? what's that?) I feel an urge to go shopping and refresh my winter wooly wardrobe.

For me, spring fashion means 3 things:

1) FLORALS

The picture above is of the crazily impractical (it simply sits on my shelf doing nothing other than being pretty) but ridiculously beautiful fabric covered bird house my mum gave me as a well done for getting in to the London College of Fashion. On the book shelf are 3 of my mum's books, books she has photographed and written all about gorgeous flower shops. No guesses where my love for flowers came from...
My gorgeous floral girly stands in the corner of my room next to my pinboard brimming with photos of me and my friends, and my pink union jack bunting. This mannequin is possibly my single favourite possession. At the moment she is embracing the floral trend, wearing a bra I brought from Anthropologie (my favourite shop and place in the world) in New York, and an embroidered bib necklace that I bought in the Accessorize sale.
I went shopping last week with my friends and couldn't resist this top in River Island. When I saw it my heart glowed with happiness at its sheer girly perfection. It has thick ribbon straps and a zip running down the front, a floaty tier falling from the waist, and a floppy pink bow that ties it up at the back. It makes me feel like a flower fairy, and after trying it on in the shop I never wanted to take it off.
River Island £24.99 The Top

Dorothy Perkins £32 The Dress

The busy floral print on this dress is balanced with its simple 5os shape. The perfect sundress to wear whilst sipping Pimms. Just add a straw hat.
Accessorize £8 The Tights

Because we are still in England after all, tights seem a practical yet pretty way to do spring florals. The print is cheerful and optimistic, yet the tights are great for the reality of spring: they'll keep your legs warm during April showers.
ASOS £40 The Dungarees

You may not have worn dungarees since you were 5, but it is time to fall back in love. This time round however, pair with fab shoes and a nonchalant expression in lieu of pigtails and a gappy toothed smile.
Dorothy Perkins £22 The Culottes

Is it it a skirt? Is it a pair of shorts? Um, they're culottes silly. These indecisive garments seem to be everywhere at the moment. Floaty and girly like a skirt, but practical like shorts: no knickers flashing in the spring breeze. I really like the vintage inspired print on this pair and the old school pleats. Have to be worn with white plimpsolls I say.
Urban Outfitters £28 The Lace Ups

If you're on the cooler side of girly (I, sadly, place myself on the Minnie Mouse side) then these are the shoes for you. The masculine shape makes a nice contrast to the super pretty ditsy print.
Accessorize £25 The pumps

Remember what I said about Minnie Mouse? I don't think I'm quite cool enough for the floral brogues that I adore; these pumps are much more in my comfort zone. With their ballerina shape and big pink bows they tug at my heart strings and cry out for my feet. How could you resist?

2) PASTELS

With spring comes spring colours - ie pastels. They may have been renamed 'sorbet shades' or 'ice cream hues' this time round yet they are the well loved spring shades that come out every year just like the bulbs poke their green heads from the ground. The flowers burst open and I am filled with an extreme desire to dress head to toe in pretty petal shades.
The Catwalk Look: Burberry Prorsum spring summer 10
The Catwalk Look: Christopher Kane spring summer 10
Dorothy Perkins £5 The Tights

I love the lilac of these tights at Dotty Ps; they are so spring-like that no one will notice the fact that you wearing them contradicts the whole 'spring has sprung' thing.
Topshop £40 The Jeans

These light wash coral skinny jeans from Topshop are so delicious I could eat them. Just wish I had legs skinny enough to WEAR them.
Lipsy £50 The Dorothy Dress

Channel Dorothy's style and take inspiration from Christopher Kane's catwalk collection with this baby blue Lipsy dress. Pastel, gingham and lingerie style bust line... triple gold stars, you're hitting 3 trends in one.
Topshop £28 The Fairy Top

This really is a top for fairies. Made from a gorgeous, draping lilac material it has fabric flowers and the front and a bow at the back. What more could you want?
Topshop £35 The Skirt

My life will not be complete until I own this skirt. We are made for each other, it is as simple as that. High waisted, lemon and with HEART SHAPED POCKETS. Can you get more girly, more lovely, and more LIBBY than that?
And here is my pastel ensemble: a high waisted lace skirt from H&M that is currently being held together with safety pins I wear it so much, a lilac vest top from Oasis I bought the other day, a hand-me-down cardigan from my mum and my pearly Topshop necklace (90p in the sale). And proof that I am a true British girl and really did brave it tightless.

3) UNDERWEAR

Spring is all about prettiness and loveliness, and for me there is nothing quite as lovely as pretty underwear.
Stella Mcartney: The Designer

I pine after Stella Mcartney's simply pretty underwear. More than that, I dream about a life lived in soft focus as per her advertising campaigns a life filled with kittens, waist high grass, silk sheets and cashmere socks.
Marks and Spencer's £16 The high street favourite

Marks and Spencer's are one of our national treasures. It's because we trust them. And women all over the country trust them to make their underwear, flocking there for basics you can rely on. Good old M&S.
O lingerie £18 The pretty one

In the softest hint of blue this polka dot and lace bra by O lingerie at ASOS is the epitome of pretty.
Topshop £16 The sexy one

I love this bra. Enough said.
Floozie by Frost French £16.50 The cute one

Floozie by Frost French (sold at Debenhams) is my favourite underwear brand. This bra is mouth-watering, literally, covered as it is in bright red strawberries. Buy the matching knickers too for the cutest underwear set around.

Oasis £32 The sophisticated one

My second favourite place to buy underwear is Oasis, for their Odille collection. This pale blue satin bra says sophisticated goddess. And who doesn't want to be one of those?



Welcome back Spring. I've missed you.

Libby

No comments:

Post a Comment